Thursday, April 3, 2008

Can you see me blushing?


My husband has now apparently become my agent and I am embarrassed! I do find it really sweet that he wanted to share this with everyone I just get self-conscious. He asked why I would start a journal on the world wide web if I didn't want anyone to read it. Good question. I think this all boils down to the fact that I have severely low self confidence.


Now on to a subject that I would greatly appreciate feedback. My 14 month old little baby is growing up! While I am super proud of having clearly a child prodigy, I am missing my little girl who depended on me for everything! The little bundle of joy who needed me to carry her, feed her, play for her as she adoringly watched. Most of these new found spurts of independence are amazing to watch and deepen my faith in God. She is truly a sponge soaking up everything. I love to sit and watch her as she studies your every move and the world around her. She surprises John and I daily with the new things she learns that we have never taught her. The other day I asked her to back up, not really expecting any reaction; however, she stopped what she was doing and carefully took several steps backwards! Just last night she was able to complete a two step request, go pick a flower and give it to Ma (her great-grandmother), to which she happily complied. Last week she began shaking her head up and down for yes and side to side for no. I didn't believe she understood 'yes' until I asked her tonight if she wanted more dinner and she quickly shook her and opened her mouth! I never doubted her understanding of 'no!'
However, in this past week, when Abby started shaking her head no, hitting me and then laughing hysterically, and shoving kids out of the way to get to her favorite toy, I began to worry. I should have assumed this would come sooner than later. Earlier in the year John and I were reprimanded by her Day Care because Abby was stealing other children's bottles and drinking them. We will not go in to the details of how she had the time to not only get to the bottles but also to keep them long enough to drink. Another story for another time! All of this to ask, is it bad to be thrilled, relieved, and happy to see your child grow and develop while at the same time miss and reminisce on the days of complete dependency? And, how do you discipline a one year old? Does she really know what she is doing? Is this just a developmental stage she is going through that I should be happy about? After all, it shows she is making decisions; determining her wants/needs/likes/dislikes. Regardless, we will continue to teach as best we know how, through example. I guess I should stop smacking John around and laughing hysterically!!!

1 comment:

Emily Shultz said...

your husband has stolen many of my bottles over the past 3 years....she must get it honestly.